Recipe downloaded from Everyday Health.
This is definitely not vegan or vegetarian, but every so often as a treat, I like to do something different, yet not involve red meat. When I made the recipe I doubled up on the scallions and red peppers, and used one can (4 oz.) of crab. That adjustment still made 4 quesadillas.
- 1 cup sharp cheddar (reduced fat), shredded
- 2 oz. reduced fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- 4 medium scallions, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 TBSP orange juice
- 8 oz. crabmeat (I used 4 oz., canned and drained)
- 4 medium whole wheat tortilla (8-inch)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 TBSP pickled jalepeno pepper, chopped
- Combine cheddar, cream cheese, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro, jalepenos (if using), orange zest and orange juice in a medium bowl. Gently stir in crab.
- Lay tortillas out on a work surface. Spread one-fourth of the filling on half of each tortilla, Fold tortilla in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large (nonstick) skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in the pan and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides. 3-4 minutes total.
- Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 tsp oil and quesadillas. Cut each into 4 wedges. (Serving suggestion: serve along with black bean soup).